By the mid-1860s direct taxation had made the customs wall redundant, and so in 1866–7 most of it was demolished along with all the city gates except two â€“ the Brandenburg Gate and the Potsdam Gate. On 28 February 2008, Sony made a similar announcement, of impending sale to a consortium led by American investment banking giant (now bank holding company) Morgan Stanley. Warum sollte platz sich noch bemühen, Kino zu lernen cinemaxx Zauberstäbe richtig zu halten, nur um etwa das Licht anzumachen - wenn es doch auch mit potsdamer simplen Lichtschalter klappt? Senator Robert F. Kennedy (22 February 1962), Prime Minister Harold Wilson of the United Kingdom (6 March 1965), H.M. Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom (27 May 1965), H.R.H. Initially the development was fairly piecemeal, but in 1828 this area just to the west of Potsdamer Platz, sandwiched between the Tiergarten and the north bank of the future Landwehrkanal, received Royal approval for a more orderly and purposeful metamorphosis into a residential colony of the affluent, and gradually filled with houses and villas of a particularly palatial nature. Der Fall Richard Jewell. Essentially, four major roads, in the east–west direction, Potsdamer Straße and Leipziger Straße, and in the north–south direction, Ebertstraße and Stresemannstraße, lead the motorized individual traffic to Potsdamer Platz. SONNTAGSZEITUNG (The Brown Post â€“ N.S. Luxurious, elegant and pushing avant-garde cooking techniques. The 19 buildings[19] include the offices of Daimler-Benz themselves (through their former subsidiary debis, whose 21-storey main tower rises to 106 metres and is the tallest building in the new Potsdamer Platz development), also offices of British professional services company PricewaterhouseCoopers; Berliner Volksbank (Germany's largest cooperative bank) by Arata Isozaki; a five-star hotel designed by Rafael Moneo and managed by Hyatt, with 450 rooms and suites;[20] and the 25-storey, 103-metre-high Potsdamer Platz No. As if to emphasise their presence, they used the building to advertise their own weekly publication: a huge neon sign on its roof proclaimed DIE BRAUNE POST â€“ N.S. A major player on the Berlin café scene, Josty attracted writers, artists, politicians and international society: it was one of the places to be seen. Running right through the block into Linkstraße, this new Weinhaus Huth was designed by the architects Conrad Heidenreich (1873–1937) and Paul Michel (1877–1938), and opened on 2 October 1912, and contained a wine restaurant on the ground floor, and wine storage space above, so it had to take a lot of weight. Whether fairly or unfairly, a great deal was riding on the project, and expectations were high. Apart from these, no other buildings remained. The replica was moved again on 29 September 2000, to the place where it stands today. Out on the streets, even the flower-sellers, for whom the area had once been renowned, were doing brisk business again. Here much of the planning of the 1936 Berlin Summer Olympic Games took place. Hilfe zum Textformat. Another building by the same architect but which still stands â€“ the "Rosengarten" in Mannheim, has a remarkably similar main facade. In 1939 the S-Bahn followed, its North-South Link between Unter den Linden and Yorckstraße opening in stages during the year, the Potsdamer Platz S-Bahn station itself opening on 15 April. The future Potsdamer Platz was most definitely outside Berlin, and therefore not subject to the planning guidelines and constraints that would normally be expected in a city keen to show itself off as the capital of an empire. A total of 15 chefs were employed there, and Alois Hitler Jr., the stepbrother of the future Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler, was a waiter there in the 1920s, before he opened his own restaurant and hotel at Wittenbergplatz, in the western part of the city. Tensions finally reached breaking point and a Workers’ Uprising took place on 17 June 1953, to be quickly and brutally crushed when Soviet tanks rolled in, and some of the worst violence occurred around Potsdamer Platz, where several people were killed by the Volkspolizei. At the Potsdamer Platz up to 11 policemen at a time had tried to control all this traffic but with varying success. Despite the prestige associated with its name, Café Josty closed in 1930. It then went through an odyssey of re-openings, closures and relaunches under a number of different names including Conditorei Friediger, Café Wiener, Engelhardt Brau and Kaffee Potsdamer Platz (sometimes appearing to have two or more names simultaneously), before its eventual destruction in World War II. The visitor has QR code with smartphone free access to panoramic images of the past decades. As a physical entity, Potsdamer Platz began as a few country roads and rough tracks fanning out from the Potsdam Gate. [5] These factors combined to produce some far more radical and futuristic plans for Potsdamer Platz in the late 1920s and early 1930s, especially around 1928–9, when the creative fervour was at its peak. ©FILMSTARTS.de, Kinos in der Nähe von CinemaxX Potsdamer Platz. It was feared that the economic downturn might exacerbate all these problems. Designed by architect Franz Heinrich Schwechten (1841–1924), who was also responsible for the Anhalter Bahnhof and the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, it was erected in 1911–12 as the Haus Potsdam. Daimler had recently come through a painful separation from their former American subsidiary Chrysler and needed a quick injection of cash in order to refocus on automotive production. Nazi. Heute: Dienstag 05.01.2021. After numerous other improvements, in 1791-3 this section was made into Prussia's first all-weather road. The Matthiaskirche (St. Matthew's Church), built in 1844–6, was an Italian Romanesque-style building in alternating bands of red and yellow brick, and designed by Friedrich August Stüler (1800–65). The Sony Centre's Bahn Tower, Deutsche Bahn's corporate headquarters at Potsdamer Platz, in 2009. Surviving parts of the former Hotel Esplanade have been incorporated into the north side of the Sony development, including the Kaisersaal which, in a complex and costly operation in March 1996, was moved in one piece (all 1,300 tonnes of it), some 75 metres from its former location, to the spot that it occupies today (it even had to make two right-angled turns during the journey, while maintaining its own orientation). CinemaxX Berlin Potsdamer Platz Potsdamer Strasse 5, Berlin BE 10785 | 030 25921219. A new underground main-line station or Regionalbahnhof (Bahnhof Potsdamer Platz) has also been constructed, opened on 26 July 2006. After a brief spell as Budapester Straße in the late 1920s (although this name was not widely recognised), on 6 February 1930 it was renamed, Königgrätzer Straße (southern portion), earlier names Potsdamer Communication and then Hirschelstraße, also running along part of the customs wall's old route, actually leading mainly south east. It was also very popular with film fans, as it had three cinemas with nearly 30 screens, including an IMAX screen, showing many films in their original versions (especially English-language films), plus a film academy and a film museum. Auch für das leibliche Wohl ist gesorgt … Café Josty was one of two rival cafés (the other being the Astoria, later Café Eins A), occupying the broad corner between Potsdamer Straße and Bellevuestraße. On 6 February 1930, it was renamed, Potsdamer Straße, developed out of that old road to Schöneberg and Potsdam, part of the former trading route across Europe, and leading south west. The history of Leipziger Platz has been inextricably linked with that of its neighbor almost since its creation. In the run-up to Christmas Wertheim was transformed into a fairytale kingdom, and was well known to children from all over Germany and far beyond. Under both schemes the old rural intersection just outside the Potsdam Gate, and the Octagon (Leipziger Platz) just inside, were to be joined together to create a long rectangular space, with a gargantuan edifice standing in the middle of it. It had occupied various locations including (from 1812 till 1880), a site in front of the Berlin City Palace, before moving to Potsdamer Platz in the latter year. Important messages were spelt out on the display board using up to 2,000 bulbs. Unsere Cookies werden für diese Zwecke verwendet: Betrieb und einwandfreie Funktionalität der Website, anonyme Statistikzwecke, Komforteinstellungen und Personalisierung, Werbezwecke mit ausgewählten Partnern. Firstly, Berlin's medieval fortifications, recently rebuilt from 1658 to 1674 in the form of a Dutch-style star fort, on an enormous scale and at great expense (and similar to examples still in extant today in the Netherlands like Naarden and Bourtange), became virtually redundant overnight; and secondly, the already crowded city became even more congested. If Berlin needed to re-establish itself on the world stage, then Potsdamer Platz was one of the key areas where the city had an opportunity to express itself. In 1721-3 a south-westwards expansion of Friedrichstadt was planned under the orders of King Frederick William I, and this was completed in 1732-4 by architect Philipp Gerlach (1679–1748). Two other hotels which shared the same architect, in this case Ludwig Heim (1844–1917), were the 68-room Hotel Bellevue (sometimes known as the "Grand Hotel Bellevue"), built 1887–8, and the 110-room Palast Hotel, built 1892–3 on the site of an earlier hotel. Sie kennen dieses Unternehmen? I Still Believe. East German officer checks a car returning to East Berlin, November 1989. In later years Potsdamer Platz was served by both of Berlin's two local rail systems. The movie thus gives a good impression of the surroundings at the time, which are completely unlike what can be seen today. With its 200-metre-long main facade along Stresemannstraße, the Fürstenhof was less opulent than some of the other hotels mentioned, despite its size, but was still popular with business people. Meanwhile, among the many V.I.P.s who came to look were U.S. Additionally, the southern edge of the Tiergarten was to be redefined, with a new road planned to slice through the built-up area immediately to the north of Columbushaus (although Columbushaus itself would remain unscathed); this road would line up with Voßstraße, one block to the north of Leipziger Platz. In addition, in 2006, a connection between the Uferstraße on the Landwehrkanal and the main tunnel was put into operation, the Tunnel Tiergarten Spreebogen is part of the Bundesstraße 96. Charles, Prince of Wales (3 November 1972), U.S. President Jimmy Carter (15 July 1978), and U.S. Vice President (later President) George H. W. Bush (George Bush Senior) (1 February 1983). The Café Vaterland had remained largely untouched, but the 1,200-seat theatre was now a 1,400-seat cinema.